Media alert: Huawei’s smart phone shipments reach a new high in China
Palo Alto, Shanghai, Singapore and Reading (UK) – Tuesday, 26 July 2016
Huawei’s consumer group posted positive results in its H1 financial results, with impressive growth in its smart phone business. The company performed well in China, following up its near 50% annual growth in Q1 with its largest quarterly shipment number to date. Huawei cemented its lead in the Chinese market, shipping just over 19.1 million smart phones, tantalizingly close to China’s record quarterly shipment number of 19.2 million, set by Samsung in Q4 2013. Annual smart phone shipments surged in China in Q2 2016, and with just over a 16% share, Huawei is leading the local players pulling away from international brands Apple and Samsung.
Q2 2016 Chinese market highlights
- Oppo and Vivo reached new heights to take second and third place as both shipped over 15 million units.
- Oppo’s bets on the premium market and physical retail stores continue to pay off.
- Vivo continues to concentrate on its core markets in tier-three and four cities.
- Xiaomi’s shipments were largely flat compared with Q1, but fell around 20% year on year as it struggled to expand its open channels and deliver a blockbuster flagship handset.
- Apple held onto fifth place, ahead of Samsung, with around a 9% market share. The iPhone SE has done little to increase overall shipment numbers in China.
For more information, please contact:
- Canalys Americas: +1 650 681 4488
- Canalys APAC: +65 6671 9399 (Singapore) / +86 21 2225 2888 (China)
- Canalys EMEA: +44 118 984 0520
Canalys is an independent analyst company that strives to guide clients on the future of the technology industry and to think beyond the business models of the past. We deliver smart market insights to IT, channel and service provider professionals around the world. Our customer-driven analysis and consulting services empower businesses to make informed decisions and generate sales. We stake our reputation on the quality of our data, our innovative use of technology and our high level of customer service.
To view the chart(s) from this media alert, and others from Canalys, download the new Insight @Canalys app today from the Apple App Store, the Google Play store or as an HTML 5 web app.
To receive media alerts directly, or for more information about our events, services or custom research and consulting capabilities, please complete the contact form on our web site.
Alternatively, you can e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 650 681 4488 (Palo Alto, California, USA), +65 6671 9399 (Singapore), +86 21 2225 2888 (Shanghai, China) or +44 118 984 0520 (Reading, UK).
For more information: